(Friday) Pis@ing tea out of my nose.

So, I did two stand-up sets this weekend. It was exciting to do. My performances at both were distinctly average. I'm not very good at it yet. For some time I've been telling myself that this is because I've only done it a few times. This theory took a -slight- knock over the weekend when my mate, who's never done it before in his life, got up on stage at one of these gigs and absolutely f**king stormed it! Really stormed it! He was brilliant.

Hey ho. A life as a mediocre stand-up beckons me.

Still it's an exciting thing to do. I enjoy the buzz of it. The anticipation beforehand coupled with (in my case...) the dissapointment afterwards.

I heard a bloke at one of the gigs comiserating one of his mates - "It just wasn't your audience mate, it's not your fault, blah blah". That made me laugh. The idea of stand-up is you stand up and make people laugh. The 'wrong' audience idea doesn't really wash with me. You're either funny or you're not.

This is why I'm not actually telling on here where these gigs are happening or indeed giving any sort of detail about them that might help you to go and see one. I'm not actually funny. I don't want to waste people's time going to see something that -honestly- you wouldn't find funny.

I've had quite a few emails to my Hallam account asking where I'm playing. I've told no one because, firstly none of them are local gigs and secondly it'd be a dissapointment.

My first year of radio (actually first three years) was rubbish. The same is true of my first few stand up sets.

Go and see live comedy by all means though. It's good. Support local open mic acts. Particularly the local ones as I'm performing at any of them. When I've mastered my first joke I'll post a note on this blog.

If you do wish to email me it's Nick@hallamfm.co.uk

Thanks to the people who've corrected spelling mistakes for me via email.

NM

Comments

Popular Posts