Wagga wagga jambolina (sunday)

Yesterday I went to see Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds being performed at The Hallam FM Arena. It was fantastic. Luckily for me I didn't read this review in The London Evening Standard. I've recently been doing a lot of reviews of smallpress comics and it worries me that in doing so I may wrongly cut people off from good stuff. It doesn't seem to worry John Aizlewood at all*.

Thing is, when you really get on a roll it's easy to dish out some really over the top smackdowns to something you don't like. The reviewer ends with the following comments:

"despite the occasional victory, this War was well and truly lost. As Heyward mused on The Eve of the War: "The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one." The chances of anything good coming from this are significantly less. "

I suppose the reader is being encouraged to chuckle at John's wit and then move on. No one's going to bother going to see something which has a significantly less than "a million to one" chance of being good are they? No. No they are not. But, it got the reviewer a bit of a knowing chuckle from their reader so... y'know, that's okay then isn't it?

What I don't understand is why is it that I really f#cking enjoyed myself? It was fantastic. The cast were great and I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best things I've ever seen at The Arena. Really good**.

I think I should review John Aizelwood's review. See how he likes it. Here we go:

"Mr Aizelwood's review of War of The Worlds is wrong."

There we are.

NM

Most common thing for people to do next is click on one of my sidebar links... at the moment Audio Of The Old Phone In Show and Bored Housewife are the two most popular.

*Obviously here I mean it doesn't worry John Aizlewood that he might put people off good stuff with his reviews, not that I might with mine. That'd be mad. But at the same time I'd appreciate his concern.

**My girlfriend didn't enjoy it. She was bored. She'd probably agree with Mr Aizelwood. Ruined.

Comments

Popular Posts