Blunder like a snowman through the desert.

I'm being drawn into Don Miguel Ángel Ruiz's book The Four Agreements. Despite slagging it off quite mercilessly a few days ago, it's slowly working its magic on me. It suggests that people should live by four agreements -

1, To be impeccable with your word; so don't lie and be nice with your words.

2, Don't take anything personally; people who have a go at you are saying more about themselves.

3, Don't make any assumptions; they're the source of all unhappiness.

4, Always do your best.

I like the idea of following these principles but I'm not sure it'll be as easy as it looks. The first one is the hardest one. How can you be nice to someone with your words when they're clearly an utter t#at? Furthermore how can you live in our modern world without using at least a few lies a day to get by? There's hundreds of lies which float round the UK each day. Without many of them we'd be in real trouble.

I think most people know what these lies are. The Army doesn't protect the country, most people know that. Your vote doesn't make any significant difference, another no brainer. The news agenda for this country is written by a small handful of people. It's likely that 9/11 was a self inflicted wound. We've already run out of oil. Etc.

I was talking to a friend recently about a thoery of mine that the truth is louder than fiction. What I mean by that is it has more impact but I'm not suggesting that people can automatically suss out the truth. Fiction is often shouted where truth is whispered. I think I'm drifting off into nonsense here. Ruined. Where was I?

Yeah, this book. If I do get into it it'll be another classic Margerrison U-turn where I'm totally opposed to something one minute and then I'm holding hands with it the next. Previous examples would be; post-Syd Pink Floyd, Kylie Minogue, Gun laws, David Icke, Bill Hicks and psychedelic fungi.

I'm well known amongst my friends for changing my mind on things. I think this is a good thing though. I'd hate to be one of those people who sticks brutally to a point even in the face of being obviously wrong.

Actually, no I wouldn't I've changed my mind. On that. Erm.

NM

Comments

Popular Posts