You did a bad thing.

I thought Dr Who was great. I got to thinking that the last series almost dragged in places and it's never good when you start thinking things like "oh, it'd be better if the Doctor wasn't in it so much" or "you're joking, that's not a f#cking ending, it's just stupid". There was for a period a point when, if they couldn't work out how to end a particular episode the Doctor would just decide to "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" and that would sort everything out. In effect that's what happened in a lot of the episodes in the last series.

This one however was a f#cking belter. Loads of little bits of fun in there and it hugely benefits from the absence of Billie Piper. Don't misunderstand me here, I thought she was good at the time but now she's gone I can sort of see how she was holding it back a bit. More the character she played than anything else. 'Rose' came with too much baggage for another romp to make sense.

I also really like the fact that it's good but it doesn't compromise what it is. I read recently somewhere that James Bond may as well just be Die Hard these days as it's not clung to the identity that it originally had. Now I wasn't too impressed by the last Bond film, in fact I've never been a fan of the character but I can see what people are talking about. The only thing that worries me is this obsession with The Doctor kissing his companions. That's not something the Doctor ever did in the past and I don't think it's a good idea. It makes it all a bit Hollyoaks as far as I'm concerned.

There used to be really strong rules about that sort of thing in the past. I remember once at a meeting of The Doctor Who appreciation society we had a writer in who ranted away about how unfair he thought it was that he'd been forced to drop a scene where The Doctor kissed an assistant on the cheek. I found myself disagreeing with him at the time and I still do.

So there we are, I'm getting old.

Talking of getting old, if you remember Space Invaders you will f#cking love this video:



Direct link.

NM

Comments

Popular Posts