(Friday) Wheatgrass and cr#p.

Today was Flash Gordon Friday. The greatest film ever made, on DVD, in widescreen. Awesome. Watched the whole thing with my Dad who didn't seem quite as impressed as I was.

"Pathetic earthlings! Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would've hidden from it in terror."

I've got this awful compulsion to not only memorise but recite my favourite things when they're on the telly. I know almost all of Flash Gordon off by heart, certainly all of Star Wars and most of BlackAdder, Alan Partridge and The Office. And of course Brasseye.

I believe recognising obscure quotes from great films or TV programmes is a sign of good character. I remember once with a mate dropping in the following odd quote:

"Yeah, I'm just wondering about some of these, ah, fit ups".

It's from a segment of The Day Today where they do "Speak Your Brains". The quote in question is given by one of the people who they ask questions of in the street. It's incredibly obscure as a quote. I couldn't believe it when my mate managed to cite it without my prompting.

Such conversations are the domain of the man I think. Women aren't as excited by another person's ability to remember irrelevant information. They like you to remember things like their birthday and exactly how long you've been going out with them. Us men know that remembering such things is their job. We're here to memorise Bill Hicks routines and episodes ofthe second series of The Young Ones.

NM

Great Flash Gordon site:

This one's ace.

Comments

Lloydd said…
I mean, what am I, fucking Noddy!

Popular Posts