Direct link to twitter: www.twitter.com/nickmargerrison
Direct link to podcast: http://thecultofnick.libsyn.com/
Or click on the massive iTunes button to subscribe to the podcast...

Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes

thecultofnick

Oh lordy the choices...

It's generally seen as good form for celebrities to have a charity that they support. It helps with the image thing. On today's show on The Bay I mentioned P!nk's misjudged, ignorant and ill informed comments about the Australian sheep farming industry. I also mentioned that it was tricky to elaborate too much but if you added the words "PINK PETA APOLOGY" into a google search you'd soon hit your mark. If you did that you'd uncover a very embarrassing story concerning children's entertainer P!nk and an animal rights group called PETA who seem to me to be some of the worst sort of "holier than thou" smugwits I've ever bumped into.

P!nk* launched into a characteristically controversial attack upon the australian sheep industry calling for all her millions of fans to not buy wool, specifically from Australia. If you're sick in the head you can find the video of her appeal on YouTube. It's not pleasant viewing.

The same can't be said for the various websites which carry her apology. They're highly amusing. The only problem is, it's difficult to find her exact quote when she issues her humble retraction. I've searched and searched and finally found it. It's a beauty. On the eve of her Australian tour she had this to say when challenged:

"I probably could have been a lot more researched, on my own. That's the lesson I'm taking from this,"

"My message was, in my mind, boycott animal cruelty - not an entire industry, not Australia, obviously, because it's my favourite country.

"Then going back, I was speaking without thinking and I actually did say ban Australia. It's not something that I can agree with.

"I have nothing against farmers. I grew up in rural Pennsylvania. I don't want to hurt anyone, I just want the animals to hurt less."
source BBC.

Brilliant.

Don't misunderstand me, if you're someone who hates animal cruelty that's cool. If you're someone who speaks out on it, that's also cool. But if you're a girl with Pink hair who sings songs about w#nking, perhaps you should know your limits.

NM

*Yes, it's actually written like that. With a wacky "!" instead of an "i" like everybody else uses. Why do you think that is? Because she's an individual or because she didn't do enough research into how her name would be spelt?

No comments:

Follow by Email