It's got a big cut between the big one and the second in command.

Sat infront of the telly, watching a bit of that "Live Earth" thing. It's been organised by Al Gore. Want a little fact about Al Gore?

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year but in 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh — more than 20 times the average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh — guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month that an average American family uses in an entire year.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.


That made me chuckle when I read it. Largely because it confirms my personal belief that criticism tells you more about the critic than the criticised. They're all banging on about how WE should be less wasteful when in truth it's that lot who are the worst of all. I don't fly round the world in an aeroplane. I've taken four flights in my life. I remember reading an interview with some twonk who was a spokesperson for som enviromental group who argued that they used aeroplanes a lot to 'spread the message of Green' or whatever. Their argument was that as they were campaigning for the environment it didn't matter that they were also doing damage to it in the process.

The TV coverage is nothing more than farcical. Graham Norton announces, presumable as part of a pre-recorded segment, that "ooh, Ricky Gervais has just walked onstage...". The picture then cuts to one of a bored crowd. Someone's left a camera on a pole in shot. This runs for about 2 minutes or so until some audio of Edith Bowman comes in over the top and the shot pans down to reveal her fawning over some f#ckskull from Metallica. We learn that this gig was for his children, so they could live in a better world. Chr#st. I wonder how many people shot themselves in the head around the world at that precise moment? There must be one or two. Not necessarily because they were watching him. Just because they'd had enough of the world.

"Do you think events like this are important?" sp#nks Edith with a grin. She's too old to be that stupid. It's awkward to watch.

In the end we cut to another shot and after a few seconds Ricky Gervais finally bumbles out onto the stage, swearing; "we're behind time so I'm only here for 30 seconds, whether Elton John's f#cking ready or not". Somehow this appearance is even more embarrasing than the Diana concert one, to which he is alluding*.

Thing like Live Earth are embarrasing. I was embarrased to be watching it. Chris Rock summed the whole thing up with this intentionally amusing quote:

"I hope this ends Global Warming in the same way that Live Aid ended poverty".

NM

* Links: CLICK HERE and HERE.

Comments

Jess said…
Are we absolutely 100% sure that Ricky Gervais's set at the Diana Concert wasn't a perfectly executed routine entirely pre-planned ?
Lydia said…
Dude, leave Metallica out of this...
Nicholarse said…
I could easily wake up in a cold sweat worrying about whether or not Ricky Gervais's "hilarious" performance was planned like that or not.

Metallica should have kept out of it!

As should have Ricky.

Also, I need to buck my ideas up, the above entry is full of awful typos.

NM
Jess said…
What got me was the BBC guy holding up the "three more mins, two more mins " buisness. RG was wearing an earpiece. It looked like a visual gag to me. I suppose he did it for the exposure or possibly the planet.

Who knows.

He's brilliant.

Natasha Bedingfield. Not worth it .
Dolly said…
Did you enjoy Madonna's inclusion of gypsy punk band Gogol Bordello into her performance? I did. I've been aware of them for a while and I don't think their music is particularly good but their song "Start Wearing Purple" is good fun. I like the fact that they exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_81l4DXlwM

Popular Posts