Direct link to twitter: www.twitter.com/nickmargerrison
Direct link to podcast: http://thecultofnick.libsyn.com/
Or click on the massive iTunes button to subscribe to the podcast...

Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes

thecultofnick

My cast iron guarantee has rusted.

'Politics is show business for ugly people' - Jay Leno.

I don't bother voting, I think they're all a waste of time. Perhaps that's the wrong attitude but I've yet to be impressed by a politician and it's against my deeply held religious beliefs.

Long term blog readers will remember there was a brief period of my life where I dabbled in stand-up comedy. During that time I learned that comedians are fiercely protective of their material. Stories of a comedian who feels he's had a line stolen by a lesser talent often end in brutal revenge, and rightly so. I wonder if the same is true for politicians?

David Cameron made a 'cast iron guarantee' in The Sun to their readers that there would be a referendum on Europe. Now, apparently, he can't have one because of ... I don't know or care, they just make it all up really don't they?

Anyway, the practical upshot of all this is that the pro-Europe brigade have been coming along and giving quotes to the media with a 'hilarious' joke in there. See if you can spot it:

Chris Bryant (who looks quite good in just his underpants):

Chris Bryant, the Europe Minister, said it was now clear that Mr Cameron would be forced to abandon his "cast iron guarantee" that a Conservative government would hold a referendum on the treaty. "Now he is clearly saying that there is not going to be a referendum so his cast iron is already rusting pretty badly," he told the BBC.

[Source - The Times Online Novermber 3rd 2009 - Czech court gives go-ahead to Lisbon treaty]


Then there's Lord Mandelson (who looks quite good in his robes):

Lord Mandelson, the business secretary, told Sky News: "It looks as if that cast-iron guarantee has become very rusty indeed. I don't think he's being entirely honest with the British people

[Source - The Guardian Novermber 4th 2009 - Davis challenges Cameron with call for referendum on relationship with EU]


I wonder who came up with this hilarious line first?

There lurks in my mind the awful possibility that it was written for them. Particularly after I read this story, also in The Guardian, about Gordon Brown paying out $40,000 for "West Wing Writers" to tailor some of his speeches to an American audience. I wonder how much a 'joke' might cost you to purchase if you're a humorless politician? Perhaps after the expenses scandal politicians are looking to save a bit of cash by re-cycling their material.

I'll vote for the first one to say that 'Cameron's cast iron guarantee was a load of shit'.

1 comment:

Thribble said...

Again, funny. Please fone Kerrang and start your show again... please
!!!

btw

I wrote this
http://mysticscotty.blogspot.com/

Follow by Email