Direct link to twitter: www.twitter.com/nickmargerrison
Direct link to podcast: http://thecultofnick.libsyn.com/
Or click on the massive iTunes button to subscribe to the podcast...

Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes

thecultofnick

Excuses and mumblings?

Experts say hay fever symptoms may affect 30 million people within next twenty years – apparently more of us moving towards cities will increase the number of people who suffer from it. How that works I don't know. It's just another thing that I used to feel made me special but now seems to be the norm. Dyslexia was unusual when I had it at primary school. Seems everyone's got it these days. Using a left hand to write with was another little quirk that no longer seems so quirky. Even my name, Nick, seems to have suddenly come into vogue.

Anyway, as with all these things, I’ve been 'afflicted' with them since before it was fashionable and hay fever is by far the worst. No one has yet made a case for hay fever sufferers being gifted in other areas like they have with dyslexia. A snotty nose doesn't put you closer to ambidexterity, like being left handed is supposed to.

Hayfever is just funking spit.

The compounded effects are huge. I’m not into sports because sports day came during the summer when I felt like death. I like night more than day because that's when relief came. I prefer winter to summer. I don't like long hot days. I don't picture myself blissed out running barefoot through a field.

Mother nature isn't someone I get along with.

Hayfever ends up defining large parts of your character without you even realising it.

If this assertion that more people are going to get it is true time will tell. But if it is I suspect we're going to get fatter lazier and more introverted over the next 50 years. Bring it on!

NM

2 comments:

Stuart J Collings said...

Hayfever sufferers can cry without anyone noticing...or caring!

Philip said...

Have you ever thought of using acupressure exercises to ease your hay fever?

Acupressure is like acupuncture but without the needles, and you can administer in on yourself. It originated in the Far East and has been used successfully for hundreds of years to relieve common ailments.

Try this exercise. It sounds weird, but bear with me, because it works.

Hold your left hand out with fingers and thumb together. Note the point where the muscle between your forefinger and thumb is at its thickest. Then stretch your thumb away from your forefinger and place your right thumb on that point. Place your right forefinger on the other side of the "webbing" between your forefinger and thumb and squeeze, not too hard, for about a minute while breathing deeply. Then repeat on the other hand.

Direct the pressure slightly towards the bone leading up to your forefinger. You'll be surprised to find that this little exercise brings a large degree of relief from hay fever and enhances other treatment.

Pregnant women should not do this exercise, though, as it can induce premature contractions of the uterus. Subject to that, I recommend anyone afflicted with hay fever gives this a try.

I hope it helps.

Philip Gegan
www.pressawaypain.com/blog

Follow by Email