In my view this is a good thing


May 4th

I wonder if people evolved to find views like this nice or if there is an inherent 'niceness' within them. I suspect the former but am compelled by evolutionary forces to hope for the latter. I wonder, if aliens landed tomorrow would they also think the above picture looked nice? Do birds, like the one in my previous entry, think this view looks nice?

Actually I'm forgetting myself here. There are of course some people who don't think pictures like the above are particularly nice. In fact, I didn't used to when I was a younger man. I'd wonder what adults were talking about when they said the countryside looked nice. It just looked like countryside to me.

Maybe it's a cultural thing and you learn to think it looks nice. If I'd have lived in the desert would I have an equal appreciation for such landscapes? I imagine snowscapes, sandscapes and the views from the surface of Venus are "nice" if you learn to have an eye for them.

Life is chaos upon which you apply a pattern called order.

Still, it does look nice, right?

Comments

Lloyd Oddie said…
I think you appreciate everything more as you get older.
Murray said…
That's one of the many themes explored in Robert M Pirsig's 'Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance'.

I also for some reason keep thinking of Bruce Lee in 'Enter The Dragon':
"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon; Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

Popular Posts