Uncivilised countries...

Some countries are uncivilised. Some countries are better than others. As a member of the United Kingdom obviously I happen to think we're closer to the 'pinnacle of civilisation' than one which locks up gay people or another that thinks it's fun to chuck rocks at women who have been unfaithful to their husbands. I'd rank a country which still stones people to death as 'uncivilised'. I'd say the same about one which thinks being gay is a criminal offence.

I'm constantly surprised that people in this country find this point of view objectionable. I'm not an idiot who believes that our nation is perfect but I do think we're clearly better than most.

That said, I find this whole flag waving business that we have to endure during a football game very tiresome.

The frequent justification for it is that "they do it in other countries". That for me is not a compelling argument. In fact it's an integral part of the problem. I grew up in a country where we didn't flag wave now I live in one where we do. It's frankly uncivilised.

I understand why this viewpoint is objectionable. It's because there has been a gradual but consistent European influenced indoctrination programme designed to make people think waving their flag is important in some way.

Why European? Well, the England flag is important because it's internally divisive. The Union Jack however is divisive outside of the UK and grit in the shoe of the EU agenda. The United Kingdom has a realistic chance of retaining a separate identity outside of the EU. England does not.

The same agenda is behind this stupid, why don't we celebrate St George's day in the UK (?), debate. Simple answer, St George's day is a catholic celebration. We're not a catholic country. However, now there are state backed celebrations thanks to this grass roots campaign we've seen over the past few years. In my opinion people have been herded into 'the right direction' and we now all look a little more "European".

As to whether that's a good thing or not, I do not know. I only dislike the EU because it seems so sinister.

NM

MALAWI decides not to lock up two gay people: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10190653
IRAN decides not to kill someone with stones: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7302963.stm

Comments

Lloyd Anglican said…
St George's Day is by no means a Catholic only celebration. "Non-Catholic countries" that celebrate St George's Day include England, Cyprus, Greece, Georgia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the Republic of Macedonia. Cities include Moscow in Russia, and Beirut in Lebanon. It is also celebrated in Palestine.

Popular Posts