Direct link to twitter: www.twitter.com/nickmargerrison
Direct link to podcast: http://thecultofnick.libsyn.com/
Or click on the massive iTunes button to subscribe to the podcast...

Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes

thecultofnick

Chess and the game of life...

There's an old saying that runs something like this: plan your life before someone else makes plans for you. I enjoy the fact that the game of chess illustrates this perfectly.

Me and a mate sat in a cafe today and played chess. We played three games over a few hours. It was awesome, or at least I enjoyed it. I think he was less keen as I kept beating him.

I don't have any tactics in the game particularly I just like to make sure my opponent gets drawn into my plan and is "forced" to move as I want them to. You do this by making obvious threats to important pieces and then anticipating what they will have to do to avoid the damage. And then having a plan as regards what they will be forced to do.

When I was in Amsterdam this same friend of mine claimed I play chess like I play the game of life. I wish I did. I've not quite got the rules of life sorted out yet, unlike those in chess which only took a few hours to learn.

NM

No comments:

Follow by Email