How would ASDA compete with a taxpayer funded "free" supermarket?



A fiefdom is a territory or sphere of operation controlled by a particular person or group. For American readers, the BBC is funded by a mandatory tax, flat rate, £145.50p (approx $235). This obviously hits the poorest hardest. Less money you have, less you can afford to pay. Reason VAT is such an awful idea. Still amazes me that our last "left wing" Government thoughts speeding fines and other so called "sin-taxes" were a good idea. Again, hits the poorest, hardest.


The soundcloud clip I link to here has featured on this blog before. It's me, debating with someone from the BBC, about impartiality.

These tweets are in approximate chronological order. Don't forget, they are active script, so to speak. You can click on them and engage. The chap I'm debating here seemed nice. He sent me a pleasant tweet to thank me for the debate, said it had given him food for thought.

I don't really think the BBC question is an either/or debate. The Government needs some form of news source to push out its message. I'm not firmly anti-Government. I think it's a good thing, so long as it's democratic. There's a few on Twitter, and particularly people who listen to the podcast, that would say the whole institution is a terrible thing. I'm less sure than that. I think there's no doubt its power needs to be constantly kept in check.





See, I quite like American radio and television. I love Howard Stern, there's nothing like him in the UK at all. Mancow, he's great. Michael Savage, controversial but good. Alex Jones, also great. There's loads of really good American talk radio. Then when it comes to their telly, Curb Your Enthusiasm, South Park (only TV show with total moral integrity), Game of Thrones, etc, etc, etc. That's the free market for you.

In the UK good media gets made in spite of, not because of, the BBC guidelines. The BBC employs loads of talented people. Full disclosure, I've even done a bit of work for them. Were their operation to be cut back. Radio 1-3 and Radio 5, all privatized, for example. I think you'd immediately start hearing better radio. You'd have more competition. And the license fee could be cut to bits if you followed that up with BBC 1-3. Keep the news operations and two TV channels, based around radio 4 and BBC 4.




Can't pretend a blog entry like this isn't cheating but, it seemed like an interesting conversation. Comments welcome.

Comments

Popular Posts